Monday, July 30, 2012

Monogrammed Candle Jars


So a while back I had posted a blog about how to remove wax from a candle jar. I originally said in the blog that I would find some project to do with these jars and then would post a blog with instructions to that project.

Well, I just happened to think of a project the other day that I thought would be cute.

We have a table in the entry way of our apartment. It has been decorated in many different ways over the past couple of years including with a paper swan and a vase full of wine corks. Well I decided that I wanted something a little more personal and decided to make these monogrammed candle jars with our last name.

I didn’t have an original blog to base this off of so excuse me if some of the directions are not as clear as they could be. J

Monogrammed Candle Jars:

Materials Needed:

*Candle Jars (wax removed and jars washed)
*Stencils (I did not have actual stencils so I made my own by printing off letters from the computer and then tracing them on contact paper)
*Enamel paint (Yes, you will need Enamel paint so it can stick to the glass)
*Paint brush (I prefer to use the spouncer sponge brush for painting on glass as it gives it a little texture.)
*Some type of filler for the candle jars ( I am using small foam balls, but you could use whatever you want for this.)

Instructions:

1. First of all, make sure your candle jars are completing clean and that all of the wax is removed from the jars. If you need some tips on getting the wax out, here is my tutorial for removing wax from candle jars: http://danielleoxley.blogspot.com/2012/06/removing-wax-from-jars.html

NOTE: A great product to help you remove labels and also the wax inside the candle jars is Goo Gone. I use it every time that I am cleaning out a candle jar now.

2. Now you will need to place the stencil on the candle jar. By using the contact paper, I knew that I would be able to get the stencil to stay put on the glass candle jar, but you can also try adhesive stencils (sold at basically every craft store) or some tape to hold the stencil.

NOTE: I chose to use contact paper because I knew that I would not have to worry about the stencil moving once I placed it on the glass jar. If you need directions on how to make contact paper stencils, I have posted a little blog tutorial here: http://danielleoxley.blogspot.com/2012/07/contact-paper-stencils.html

3. Pour some of your paint onto a paper plate or other object that you don’t mind getting paint on. This will help you get the right amount of paint on your brush for the stenciling.

4. Place the paintbrush that you are using in the paint and get as much paint as you would like. Like I said above, I like the spouncer sponge brush because it gives you a little texture. I also like it because it does not leave streaks like a normal paintbrush does. And it is super easy to just daub the paint all over.

5. Remove the stencil and let the paint dry on the candle jar. If you need to do any touch ups, I recommend you do this before you remove the stencil so that you do not get random paint all over the place.

NOTE: You can bake the candle jars to cure the paint or you can leave the jars out for 21 days so that they cure. I wasn’t worried about letting them cure before doing the next step because I did not plan on washing these jars anytime soon.

6. Once the paint has dried, fill the jars with whatever filler you are using. You can now place the jars wherever you would like in your house.


NOTE: I plan on painting the lids of these jars as well with brown paint, but didn’t have any on hand while I was working on this project so that will have to just wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment