Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chickpea and Tomato Salad

So, I am always hungry in the afternoon and right now I can’t get too terribly many options of food delivered until after sundown. I know, you all feel so sorry for me with my food delivery, right?
Well, I decided that I wanted a quick and easy snack to have around the house so that when hunger strikes, I am not just eating some crackers or cereal.
I had actually had a similar salad to this one last week at my monthly book club meeting and had found it incredibly delicious. I then found this recipe on Pinterest and decided it was worth a shot.
Here is the link to the original recipe (although I followed the recipe pretty closely): http://greenlitebites.com/2011/06/20/chickpea-and-tomato-salad-with-fresh-basil/

Chickpea and Tomato Salad

Ingredients:
*1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
*About 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
*25 large basil leaves, chopped (I used my hands and just tore apart the basil leaves.)
*3 cloves of garlic, minced
*1 tbsp red wine vinegar
*1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
*2 tsp olive oil
*1/2 tbsp honey
*pinch of salt (yes, that is my salt in the Corona bottle!
J)

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a bowl with a lid. Shake the bowl so that all of the ingredients are mixed together. Place bowl in the fridge and let it chill for at least 20 minutes. Then enjoy!

What did I think about this recipe?

I would add more tomatoes and would quarter the tomatoes so that they are more evenly distributed. I love tomatoes though, so this may be a completely personal choice.

I would add cheese to this. In fact, I did add cheese to the top of my salad when I had it for lunch, but I think that feta cheese would be a great addition to this salad.

This salad is also very good to eat on top of some Triscuit crackers. I liked to eat the tomatoes especially with the crackers!

Ultimately, this is a great recipe and I will definitely be making this quite frequently since it was inexpensive, easy, and tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment