Monday, July 23, 2012

Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos


So lately I have decided that we need to save more money. And one great way of making sure to save more money is cook more meals at home.

I actually love to cook, but since I have been pregnant, standing up and cooking a whole meal can be a little bit of a challenge. So I decided to use the crock pot a lot more often.

I love my crock pot anyways and am always up for a good recipe for it. Mainly because our oven here only heats from the top so cooking tends to be a little challenging. I found this recipe and decided that it was going to get made because not only did it look good, but I could instantly think of two other meals to make with the leftovers (yep, those will be posted in the next couple of days).

So here is the link to the original recipe that I followed: http://www.raininghotcoupons.com/crock-pot-chicken-tacos-recipe-super-easy-and-yummy/

As always, there will be little variations in my recipe and the original so make sure to check out both!

Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos

Ingredients:

*Tortillas (I used flour tortillas because they were what I could find at the store here.)
*1 package of 1.5 oz Taco Seasoning
*1 package of 1 oz Ranch seasoning (My husband is not a huge fan of ranch so I didn’t want to overload the chicken with ranch taste.)
*6 frozen chicken breasts (I used a whole bag of frozen chicken breasts)
*1 can of chicken broth
*Chicken Gravy (I couldn’t find a can of this at the store so I bought a packet of gravy mix and mixed it with water before throwing it in the crock-pot.)
*Sour cream (optional-for tacos)


Directions:

1. Place frozen chicken in the crock pot.
2. Add the taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, chicken broth, and gravy mix on top of chicken in the crockpot.
3. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
4. Shred chicken with forks and place the shredded chicken back in the crock-pot. Leave chicken in the crock-pot for about 45 minutes so the meat soaks up some of the yummy juice.
J
5. Make tacos with tortillas and the shredded chicken. Top your tacos with whatever you like on your tacos.

My thoughts on this recipe:

This is a great recipe! My husband couldn’t stop raving about how good the tacos were and he is usually not a fan of things with tortillas.

The chicken can be a little tough to shred. I wore out my hand doing this(granted, I am kind of a wimp anyways), but after some help from the husband, we got the chicken shredded.

I turned the crock-pot down to low when I put the chicken back in to soak up some of the yummy juice. I figured the chicken had cooked enough and I didn’t want it to dry out the chicken too much!

It is a good idea to check the chicken a couple hours into cooking. When I checked mine, half of the chicken was left almost completely out of the juice so I threw it down in the juice at that time. I could tell the difference between the chicken that had been in the juice the whole time and the chicken that I threw in the juice halfway through when it came time to shred the chicken.

I topped my tacos with cheese, sour cream, and salsa! I would have liked to add some tomatoes to it, but didn’t have any on hand.

This is a recipe that will be added to my frequently cooked recipe list! The husband was already asking for me to make it again before he finished eating his tacos!

Make sure to check back tomorrow when I show you what I did with the leftover chicken I had!

No comments:

Post a Comment